Power Ledger (POWR)
Power Ledger's blockchain technology enables the sale of surplus renewable energy generated at residential and commercial developments (including multi-unit/multi-tenanted) connected to existing electricity distribution networks, or within micro-grids. Power Ledger puts the power to manage the energy economy into the hands of consumers, while maintaining the value of existing distribution networks.
**Refresh page if chart doesn't load
Power Ledger utilizes blockchain technology by recording P2P energy trading transactions in real time on an immutable ledger. Those who sell excess renewable energy today receive under-market value from the large energy companies who buy it.Funds aren't seen for three months or more in some cases. This opened up a niche or need in the market for real time P2P energy trading.
This ambitious plan is made possible by Power Ledger operating across two different blockchains, each of which has its own tokens and functions.The “outer layer” is the Ethereum blockchain, while the “inner layer” is the EcoChain.
The Ethereum blockchain- This is the public Ethereum blockchain on which users can buy, sell, use and trade POWR tokens. By holding POWR tokens, users can access the EcoChain.
The EcoChain- This is a private consortium blockchain designed, built and operated by Power Ledger. It uses Sparkz tokens and is designed to be exceptionally energy efficient and to directly interface with home and business energy facilities, for example, by automatically reading your meter at regular intervals and monitoring energy use.
The Ethereum blockchain layer is the same all over the world, while the EcoChain layer can be scaled for individual areas to work with different local regulations, to meet different consumer needs and to function anywhere.
The connections and functions between these layers are operated with Ethereum smart contracts. This provides a secure environment for the following:
Exchanging POWR and Sparkz tokens.
Managing the Power Ledger loyalty and rewards programs as well as offering green energy incentives.
Holding to-be-released POWR tokens and other funds in escrow.
Handling the security and trust measures of the program.
Sparkz tokens can be bought with local fiat currencies They can then be used to purchase energy through the EcoChain blockchain at costs that vary based on supply and demand in each area. The tokens are destroyed in these transactions.
What you get when buying POWR tokens?
POWR tokens are used by providers who want to put their services on the EcoChain. Their POWR tokens are held in escrow for a corresponding amount of Sparkz tokens.As more providers want to reach Power Ledger users, the price of POWR tokens is likely to increase.
But you don’t necessarily need to be a provider to benefit from ongoing dividends as a POWR owner. Power Ledger’s “autonomous asset management” system means POWR owners can put up POWR tokens for another service provider in order to earn a cut of the profits. This can all be managed transparently and automatically through the blockchain.
The current Power Ledger POWR supply cap is set at 1 billion, while 350 million were released into circulation with the initial coin offering. Currently, those 350 million are the ones being bought and sold. The remainder will be released over time, with an emphasis on incentivizing the development of green energy.
Importantly, having POWR tokens in a deregulated market will give you access to upcoming “asset germination events.” These are events where POWR holders will receive priority to become owners and co-owners of energy assets, such as photovoltaic systems, and to receive a cut of the revenue generated by them.
The Power Ledger Board of Directors is full of experience and expertise in the fields of energy,blockchain and business. Power Ledger is led by chair and co-founder Dr Jemme Green, who has a PhD in Distruptive Technologies and 11 years in investment banking, as well as a multitude of other accolades. Dr Gov van Ek, the Manager of Technical Development, also has his PhD, studying in the field of Total Technology. Ek is co-founder of a leading Australian blockchain development firm, Ledger Assets, which is co-owned by fellow Power Ledger board member John Bulich, who also works in Technical Development for Power Ledger. Managing Director and co-founder David Martin has 20 years experience in the the energy field and Jenni Conroy, another co-founder of Power Ledger, has 30 years of experience in the energy field. Rounding out the list of interesting characters on the Board of Directors, is world renowned venture capitalist Bill Tai. Tai has served on seven publicly traded companies of which he invested in start-up phase. Wildly successful and intelligent, Tai brings an extensive list of experience with him. He currently sits as chairman of Treasure Data and is a board member of Bitfury. His expertise in directing companies from start-up phase, to publicly traded, gives good insight as to the direction and promise of Power Ledger.
- Q1 2018
- Begin Distribution of Growth Pool: Early Application Hosts will be gifted POWR tokens to incentivize their use of and contribution to the Platform
- Technologies Layers Transition: Power Ledger will complete the transition to a modified fee-less Consortium Ethereum network.
- Q3 2018
- First Asset Germination Event: Power Ledger and Platform Application Hosts will begin conducting Asset Germination Events, where POWR token holders will receive priority to become coowners and beneficiaries of renewable assets.
- Marketing and Partnerships: As new Applications are developed potential Application Hosts will be targeted and/or Power Ledger may directly deploy the Application.
- Q4 2018
- Beta Testing of New Applications: Begin beta test of Autonomous Asset Management and Neo-Retailer and Carbon Trading Applications.
- Q2 2019
- Frequent Asset Germination Events: Asset Germination Events will be frequently conducted by Power Ledger and its Application Hosts, driving the intrinsic value of the token.
- Transition to Public Blockchain: Power Ledger aims to be operating fully on a public PoS blockchain.
- Q3 2019
- Powerport and Future Applications: Begin beta testing of the PowerPort Application, as well as Wholesale Market Settlement, Distributed Market Management, and other future Applications that cannot even be imagined yet!